Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 189 (Week 27): If I Picked the Oscars

I feel like I saw fewer movies than usual this year. Then again, I don't think I would've seen Tree of Life or Midnight in Paris no matter how much time I had.

Of all the Oscar-winning Best Pictures, I've seen all but seven, and almost all the recent ones except the Lord of the Rings movie, because to watch that one I would have to watch all three, and . . . hully gee. Can't bring myself there yet. But it would be nice to be able to say I've seen them all, so maybe someday. When I have a LOT of free time. Hold your breath.

OK, I know that at least two of you are now wildly curious, mostly so you can compare what you've seen to what I've seen, so here's what I haven't seen, Lady D and Brunie:
  1. Wings
  2. The Broadway Melody (1928) 
  3. Cimarron
  4. The Great Ziegfeld
  5. The Life of Emile Zola
  6. Chariots of Fire
  7. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
In other words, yes, I've seen Cavalcade. Ha ha!

What a dull list, huh? I would like to see Wings, though. Kinda bummed I haven't seen that one. I've seen a lot of Broadway Melodys, I just somehow skipped THE Broadway Melody. And I'm not sure how I missed Chariots, I saw every other nominee that year, and I remember watching the Oscars with Lady D and squeeing when we saw Warren Beatty. I've tried to watch it since then, and it puts me right to sleep. Well, someday.

The others, though? Shoot me now.

But on to this year! This is what my ballot would look like:
  • Best Picture: The Artist
  • Best Actor: Jean Dujardin
  • Best Actress: Meryl Streep
  • Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer
  • Best Supporting Actress: Melissa McCarthy
  • Best Original Screenplay: Annie Mumolo and Kristen Wiig (Bridesmaids)
  • Best Adapted Screenplay: Steven Zaillian and Aaron Sorkin (Moneyball)
  • Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius (The Artist)
  • Best Original Score: John Williams (War Horse)
Every year, there are one or two Oscars that are my "most wanteds,"  and this year it's Meryl Streep and John Williams. And I'm preparing myself for a fairly likely disappointment. But still. It would be wonderful. The War Horse score was magnificent. Meryl was sublime.

Tonight I will drink champagne and revel in the pretty dresses and have fun spotting people in the audience and laugh and weep and soak up every self-important overlong minute of it. It's the Oscars — my Super Bowl, my Super Tuesday, my Final Four, the highlight of my TV watching for the entire year.

Can't wait!

But first, 50 pages to edit. And the sun is shining, I will take a walk. And lift weights with Martini.

In other words: The life of a commoner goes on. Ob la di, ob la da.

Cheers!

Lady C

1 comment:

  1. HA! My first thought was, WHICH ones haven't you seen?! Thanks for including a list!!

    Out of 83 best picture winners I have only seen 39 of them (I just counted) but it's not like it's on my personal list of things to do! (If The Artist or The Help wins it will be 40.) On your list of 7 I have seen the last half hour of Cimarron, Chariots of Fire (good but definitely soporific much of the time) and Lord of the Rings. I watch all 3 LOTR movies at least once a year; I LOVE them. I think you would like parts of the them but I can see it might not be your thing to spend 10 hours on when you could watch something else!

    It is stunning how many Oscar movies I have NOT seen. I plug away every year with the help of TCM. (I am recording Lawrence of Arabia this week so we'll see if I get around to actually WATCHING.)

    We need to talk all this over next time we're together!

    Enjoy the Oscars! I'll be with you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete