Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 292: Manicuring, Against All Odds

Today was crazy. It's hard to see how I could possibly have packed more in.

Got up at 7, made banana bread with toasted walnuts for my writers group. Showered, dressed, set out plates, coffee cups, various dairy and dairyish products, sugar, non-sugar, spoons. Hosted writers group. Sliced bread. (It was hella good.)

Went to Walgreen's to buy cake mix, frosting, and candy to make a truly craptacular set of cakes for the Cake Walk at tonight's picnic. (The tradition is, the more whacked-out on candy and sugar products, the better. Mine were covered in M&M'S and Twizzlers. Crap-TAC-ular.)

Baked the cakes, submitted my timesheet, answered pressing e-mails. Gathered all supplies needed to do manicures at tonight's school picnic. Realized that every muscle and fiber in my body was tightly clenched. Poured a glass of wine at 11 a.m. And it was good.

Picked up Mimosa's newly repaired sandals (which exactly match the dress she'll wear for middle school graduation), and headed west for my monthly lunch with Mrs. Cynicletary. Always a joy; we talked nonstop for two solid hours.

Kept admiring the blue sky and unflinching sunshine. It's been raining and storming off and on all week, and today's forecast was iffy. But for many many reasons (#1: To get the damn thing over with), I really wanted the picnic to happen tonight.

Got home just as the heavens opened. Rain rain rain, thunder thunder thunder. And after 45 minutes, it was over. Skies were blue. Picnic Coordinator called me in a panic: "What should we do?" "Let's get the damn thing over with," I did NOT say. I said, "Weather.com says it will rain again between 5 and 5:30, then stop until 9. Other weather forecasts say different things, but I am choosing to believe Weather.com. Weather Underground sounds shady. AccuWeather? As if. Let's go for it!"

Decorated cakes. Loaded car. Crossed fingers, said a prayer. Headed out at 4:15 for 5:00 picnic . . . and watched the heavens open again.

It poured . . . and poured . . . and poured . . . for a good 15, 20 minutes. And then it stopped. And actually seemed to clear!!!! Mirabile dictu!!

I painted nails from 5:30 till 8 with a rotating band of pallies in the second and third chairs, and it was a BLAST. We got lightly rained on twice, but I held an umbrella over me and my tiny clients, and all was well. And I think we raised a ton of money for our ASSIST Fund, which takes care of our own Dallin families in need — a lovely thing.

AND — we got the damn thing over with!!!!

Weather.com, you are my hero!!

In other news, I just finished what will be my fourth glass of wine today. I'm feeling no pain.

Love to all,

Lady C

No comments:

Post a Comment