Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 294 (Week 42): I Know I Should Walk . . .

I started my day with great gusto, baking fudge muffins, doing a load of laundry, and cleaning the cat box, and then it was a whirlwind of activity: church, followed by brunch which was also my last RE Committee meeting. The food was sensational and I ate a ton of it, so I had my fingers crossed that Nurse Kathy wouldn't be free for dinner tonight after all, as we'd planned.

And that part worked out well; we're dining at Tryst tomorrow night instead. But then I collapsed in a chair and was lazy, though I did finish The Red Book (don't. read. it.); I didn't clean a single part of my house in preparation for Mom's visit, I didn't take a walk on this beautiful sunny day, I did exactly jack.

Though Martini and I made dinner together, and that was fun. I taught him how to use a bread knife and how to brown butter, and he did very well.

And now here I sit, sated, glutted, tired. I know that I should exercise and that a walk would be just the thing to perk me up. But I cannot summon even the ounce of energy required to change my clothes. It's been a wild week and weekend, I've got another one looming ahead of me, I am thoroughly tuckered out. (Though, again, I think a walk would help. Maybe I'll just keep saying that, as I trudge upstairs, heading toward my sneakers . . .)

My weight was unchanged from last week's weigh-in, which is okay but also a little discouraging, since midweek, when I'm doing back-to-back zumba, I've already hit my 40-pound goal. But on the weekend, when I'm eating fun food and not zumba-ing . . . the scale creeps back up four pounds. But I'm very very close. Yes, I know a walk would help.

And it would also keep me away from those fudge muffins. I've only had two — one at brunch and one just now — but they are insanely good and insanely deadly, there's like two sticks of butter in there. Insane. But oh so good.

Well, I'm heading upstairs now, ostensibly to help my daughter exfoliate her elbows (don't ask). Will I then wander in the direction of my closet? We shall see.

—Lady C, woman of mystery

5 comments:

  1. Two questions: (1) What is the secret behind using a breadknife? and (2) What the heck is the difference between a fudge muffin and a chocolate cupcake?

    -Bride Boy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! I am here to guide you, little grasshopper.

      1. Our breadknife is long with jagged scary teeth, and Li'l Martini is an 11-year-old boy, so it was mostly about making sure he started and ended the experience with all 10 fingers. But I love the control you have with the proper knife, and I taught him how to slice very thin slices. And he did great!

      2. Chocolate cupcakes are light and airy with a moist crumb, and usually have icing. Fudge muffins are densely packed and solid, almost more brownie-like. This recipe involves a ton of butter and eggs; they're like really fudgy brownies. Sooooo good. I don't make them often, though. Seriously: two sticks of butter and eight eggs. They are INSANE.

      love you!

      xxx

      Delete
  2. and also: you are very kind to read and comment on my blog when I owe you 3,397 e-mails, including a response to your *fascinating* dream about me!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't run across "glutted" before so I assume you coined it. It's a fabulous word! -- SDF, continuing to be highly entertained and inspired by your exploits and, especially, your writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked it up and it's a real word! In any case, I love it and salute you for using it so beautifully. -- SDF

    ReplyDelete