Monday, October 1, 2012

Y2 Day 33: Old Dream Maker, You Heart-Breaker

Sometime when I'm busy it takes a while for things to hit me, and today a week-old event came out of thin air and threw me for a loop. I love Andy Williams and had always planned to go to Branson with my adorable cowgirl sister-in-law (Husband's sister) to swoon over Andy and the Lennon Sisters and some Osmonds, probably within a year or two, I knew he wasn't getting any younger.

But now it's too late. He's gone.

All About Eve, Gone With the Wind, and Breakfast at Tiffany's — these are my all-time favorite iconic perfect movies. And yes I know Tiffany's is a hot mess of flaws, beginning and ending with the Mickster, but I don't care, it's perfect, I love it so much. And even though Andy has nothing to do with that film (and given his sensibilities might not even have liked it that much), his version of Henry Mancini's "Moon River" is likewise perfect, and in my mind they all live in the same neighborhood, Andy and Cat and Holly Golightly. And Mr. Yunioshi too, but we ignore him.

Tonight I made dinner and played all my Andy Williams CDs and wept over "Moon River" and "The Impossible Dream" and "My Coloring Book." And then Husband came home and was kind to me, and we slow-danced in our kitchen and hummed "Moon River" and I wept again.

When I was young, I was embarrassed to be a teenage '70s chick in love with Andy Williams and Robert Goulet. Good God, how unhip could I be? But with age comes a certain gloriously free when-I'm-old-I-will-wear-purple-and-like-the-singers-I-like-and-if-you-want-to-give-me-crap-about-it-go-right-ahead-'cause-frankly-my-dear-dot-dot-dot attitude, and I am letting my freak flag fly.

(Except that liking Andy Williams is kinda the opposite of a freak, right? I'm letting my nerd girl flag fly? I'm wearing my Andy Williams bra and panty set? Hmm. I think I'll let go of metaphors now.)

I'm sad, that's all.

But we did have a kick-ass dinner with a thousand vegetables in it (pork cutlets, grilled mushrooms, braised Romano and wax beans with carrots, peppers, tomatoes, and onions from our farm share, and apple salad), and then I took a quick brisk walk in the rapidly fading light to return the CSA basket to my friend, whose turn it is this week. Not my best exercise day, not my worst.

This week, I'm back to two nights of zumba. Can't wait!!

Rest in peace, dear Andy. You are loved and missed.

—Lady C, sad

No comments:

Post a Comment