Monday, January 7, 2013

Fried Pickles and Other Wonders of Nature

After Math Practice today, I drove up to Beverly to retrieve my bifocals from Brunie; I'd left them between the vintage flowered seats of the Cabot Street Cinema after last week's viewing of Flight, and Brunie, who lives on Cabot Street, kindly collected them for me. And since Beverly is not exactly right next door, I decided to do a variety of useful errands along the way: exchanging some Christmas books at Barnes and Noble, shopping for the kids and Husband at Kohls (Mimosa needs jeans, Martini needs socks, and Husband needs new winter gloves), depositing my paycheck (I get an actual hard-copy paycheck for my math job; it's kind of thrilling!), and taking in a likely Oscar nominee!

But then — Barnes and Noble wouldn't accept any of my books, since they were gifts and I didn't have a receipt. And my visit to the bank just confirmed how broke we are and how many big bills will be due soon. So when I got on the freeway and called Husband and he asked how I was, I said, "Morose."

Let me tell you: Morose is just the mood you want to be in when you see The Impossible, aka The Tsunami Movie! Yowza. I think it's a good movie, but I was too busy unpeeling my hands from where they'd become one with the armrests to fully process it. It's a highly emotional experience, I'll say that. And I love that cute little Naomi Watts. And everything you've heard about the performance of the boy playing her oldest son — all true.

And before the movie I dined on fried pickles and Chardonnay, and if that's not a mood lifter, I don't know what is.

I have had more fried pickles in the last three years of my life than in the other 47 put together. I'd never even heard of them until I read a John Grisham novel, and then they were everywhere. They are simultaneously so disgusting and so delicious and so addictive, I don't even know what.

So, yeah, not a good diet day perhaps. Whatever. I'm morose.

(Despite the pickles. Or maybe because of.)

The Oscar nominations will be announced this Thursday, and I've already seen most of the front-runners! How will I occupy myself for the next month??

xx
Lady C

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE fried pickles. SO MUCH do I love fried pickles that I could probably write an entire post about them. Seriously. I'm sorry you were feeling morose, however, and hope things brighten up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! I would love that post.

      Yeah, seriously -- crunchy, salty, tangy, spicy, and a little sweet. What is not to love??

      Thank you for your well wishes. Things always look brighter in the morning!

      Delete
  2. morose, do not feel morose. just focus on how lucky you were to get to eat fried pickles. have you had deep fried chocolate bars? were the books good?
    cheer up buttercup
    ps your writing is like butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, doll -- I will try to channel Monty Python and look on the bright side of life. (I've not tried the deep-fried chocolate bar, nor the other curiosities -- Twinkies, Snickers, or my "favorite," deep-fried butter -- though I would it the situation presented itself. I think I might need to attend a state fair somewhat west of Massachusetts; we are good Puritan stock; we do not "deep fry." Deep-fried New England boiled dinner? Hmm.)

      Delete