Monday, January 21, 2013

Thank You, MLK—We're Having a Lovely Weekend!

I haven't been posting because I've been so busy, a human doing instead of a human being, ha ha. And also, Husband was felled by a stomach virus on Saturday, so I've been primary parent. And we turned every mattress in the house (as we do each New Year) and vacuumed and mopped underneath, and moved bedroom furniture away from walls and vacuumed behind, and went to sleep that night in sparkly clean bedrooms, tucked into freshly laundered, warm-from-the-dryer flannel sheets, and that took a lot of time, but there's also been Improv and IHOP and movies and games and good food and fun.

Yesterday Mimosa and I saw Life of Pi. I try to see most of the big Oscar nominees, but every year there are one or two I cheerfully eschew, and this year I was pretty happy to skip Life of Pi and Amour. Enter Mimosa, whom I've trained to love the Oscars as I do and who has a stubborn streak the like of which I've seldom seen; I have no idea where she inherited that. (Ha.) She says to me, "We need to see these movies." I went into full-on whine mode, but she would not be budged. I decided that I had less interest in Pi, so we got that one out of the way first.

Well, color me so surprised! All I really knew about it was what the average disinterested viewer knows: boy, boat, tiger. But it was a beautiful little movie, lushly filmed, gorgeous vivid colors, charming characters, clever writing. We were riveted. I'm also in love with grown-up Pi. Definitely recommended!

Now, will this help me keep an open mind about, yawn, ugh, Amour? Probably not. It sounds so freaking depressing, I need a very large glass of wine or two or thirty to get through it, but we have entered my two-week pre-surgery temperance period, and boy am I happy about that.

Today I have a phone appointment with Zanzibar in just a bit, we're returning cans and bottles and getting some dough, which we will spend on doughnuts from the Good Doughnut Place, I'm taking Martini to buy some new shirts and big-boy underdrawers, my giant strapping son has outgrown everything but is also old enough to have a say in what shirts he'll wear, and I have a dinner date with a long-time client who's likely moving to California. And in every available second I will read The Diviners by Libba Bray, which I am totally loving, but it's almost 600 pages, it's taking me a while to finish.

Fun fun fun weekend! I hope yours was grand as well.

—Lady C, on holiday

p.s. Another thing I did this weekend was measure my waist — I read two different magazine articles on the importance of waist size. The ideal measurement for women is under 35 inches, which I did not achieve, but also your waist measurement should not be more than 85 percent of your hip measurement, and mine is only 79 percent, so that was good news. Which I'll take where I can get it!

p.p.s. I'm trying to decide whether to host my "annual" Oscar party this year. (Last year I took a break, which I regretted precisely never.) My reconstructive surgery is February 14 and the Oscars are 10 days later (on Lady Darcy's birthday!), so my Quasiomodo-esque appearance is factoring into my decision. Any opinions on this matter? Do weigh in.

10 comments:

  1. god, you are so busy. you make me feel like a real human being. our weekend slow and cold. fed and bedded cows for upcoming snowstorm and ploughed snow from last storm. it was -20. i read life of pi but have not seen the movie. have a good week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm - plowing snow in -20 weather sounds very hard, though I liked the cow part. How many do you have? But in any event, if I'd plowed snow in -20 weather, I would've hunkered down under a blankie after and not stirred for quite some time. My sister-in-law adored Life of Pi the book, I'll have to ask her what she thought of the movie. People always tend to like the books better, right? (That's a funnish party game: Which Movie Was Actually Better than the Book? I always say "The Group" by Mary McCarthy, but then I don't have much else.)

      Delete
    2. Eat Pray Love - I thought the movie was great and the book terrible. The movie had the added bonus of Javier Bardem, hubba hubba.

      Delete
    3. Interesting! I thought the book was okay and the movie silly. Though Barb totally agrees re: the book, and I totally agree re: Javier Bardem, hubba hubba squared!

      I was lunching alone near a table of elderlyish ladies who were trying to remember Mr. Bardem's name but couldn't come up with it, and I wrestled between "Do I admit I was eavesdropping?" and "Do I put them out of their misery?", finally deciding that the satisfaction of the latter would surpass the shame of the former, and they were very happy. One thanked me profusely, and one said, "Can you go to every movie with us??" They were cute. And also not immune to Javier's swarthy charms.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Bev! When do you have time to sleep, woman?! It sounds like you had a lovely weekend, though. I hope that Mr. Chardonnay recovered without too many battle scars and that no one is the worse for wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My default setting is "Busy," for sure, but this was an especially busy weekend. But so much fun, too! I will have to write about the Improv show, because it will crack you up. My busy schedule was "helped" by the fact that I have very little editing work at present - great for getting the house clean, not so great for the bank account. What can you do. Mr. Lady C thanks you for the well wishes! He is all recovered and off to teach college.

      Delete
  3. The reason we WATCH as many Oscar nominees as possible is BECAUSE, what IF, one of the voting members of the Academy got SICK and someone was needed to fill in for them -- someone, namely us? I rest my case. Of course, it can mean we see some "Oh puh-leeze, give me a BREAK here!" stinkeroo flicks but I won't get into that. It seems my youngest son, my OTL and I have different tastes than this year's nominators and we have Not Been Happy with "Pi," "Les Mis," "Beasts," "Playbook" and "Django."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I do it simply for the joy of total immersion into movieland, many (most?) of which are quite fine - something I only do at this time of year. I enjoyed all the ones you haven't been happy with except "Django," which I haven't seen yet - I think I'm afraid of it, despite Cindy's glowing endorsement - but I will see it soon. The one movie I have utterly disliked this season is "The Master," a truly awful film, and I'm dismayed by how much Oscar love it got. Particularly Joaquin Phoenix taking the slot that should have gone to John Hawke. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Awful movie.

      I think the movies I've enjoyed the most so far are "Argo" and "Flight," and of course "Flight" wasn't even nominated. But for a combo of pure entertainment and a transporting experience, those two have my vote!

      Delete
  4. Hmmm.... My sister now lives on the East Coast (Toronto, which is east for Canada), but is back on the West Coast awaiting grandchild #1. Perhaps I should see if her Oscar kit is in her pile of accumulating mail? Now that might be a fun reward trip, although I must say, I have never seen all the nominated movies pre-awards night, so I am sure it would be wasted on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, let's do it! I will act out all the nominees for you (I have a good shot at seeing all of them this year, thanks to my bossy daughter). What a Booty Camp incentive that would be!!!

      I have a friend who lives in Connecticut; I'm going to ask her to recommend our dream hotel. You never know!

      Delete