Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Highlights, Lowlights

My daughter is sad. She's not doing well in school and she's so down on herself about it, it makes her withdraw even further into depression. I spent most of the weekend trying to get her out of her shame spiral, with moderate success.

A mother is only as happy as her unhappiest child, and it's been a tough couple of days.

Tomorrow she and I are meeting with her English teacher to talk about what she needs to do to pull her grade up between now and the end of the year. She won't get an A but she won't get an F either, and as long as she does her best I couldn't care less what her grade is.

Though I was (and am) such an A-seeking brown-noser, it fascinates me that neither one of my children is remotely motivated by grades. Truly — A or C, they don't care in the least. This could not be more foreign to me.

Then on Thursday, Husband and I are meeting with Mimosa's guidance counselor and social worker to talk about her plan for next year, and we'll check in with them regarding the current situation and if they think any more personal teacher conferences are called for.

It will all be okay, and I think she'll feel better once this teacher meeting is out of the way. Right now, she says she's afraid she'll cry during it. I told her that I would cry too, and then her teacher would be faced with two weeping redheads, and what would the poor man do then???? and this made her laugh. I hope I can keep her laughing.

So once again, I'm fishing for joy pockets where I can find them:
  • I finished a big project, finally — proofing the last 70 pages of Snowy. There'll still be more to do, but the hardest part is done. Yay! (And Katie P, m' dear, I sent my favorite author to your blog to read your Twitter 101 post — she is going to start Tweeting but hasn't the faintest idea how to begin, so she's very excited to have you virtually hold her hand for her First Time.)
  • Zumba was great, as always, and I made the class laugh. (I'd tell you about it, but it was a visual. Trust me, I was funny.)
  • I just had a small bowl of Brigham's Mocha Almond ice cream, yum. And fiber-full!
  • I'm about to take a bath and read Jodi Picoult's latest, The Storyteller, which so far I'm enjoying very much. Nazi hunters, cheating morticians, and artisan bread, what a yarn!
  • I have fresh clean sheets to sleep in tonight, hot-pink flannel, and my cute fingernails are painted five shades of green with splotches of two blues. I told one of my Math kids today that this is the color of dragon skin, and he said with great scorn, "No it is not. Dragons are red." I was ready to come to blows over the color of this imaginary animal, but I thought better of it, being the adult and all. (But he's totally wrong, idiot child.)
Off to the tub, I am sweaty and stinky. And chubby and creaky and crampy. These are not the sexy slinky adjectives I yearn for, I must say.

I think I need the Bathe Yourself Thin diet.

xx Lady C

2 comments:

  1. I need Twitter 101 -- link!?! -- SDF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here you go, sweetie!

    http://www.thenestedblog.com/2013/03/the-nested-blog-marketing-series-for_22.html

    ReplyDelete