Friday, June 21, 2013

Day 21: The Confounding Cucumber Conundrum, and Other News

It's CSA time again! So far I've picked up two shares and we're already drowning in greens — but then I had brainstorm; an entire kitchen counter full of greens cooked down (in three batches) to half a ziplock bag's worth, and they're now in my freezer. We should be able to eat the rest with no problem, though our meals have been quite produce-heavy. So far I've made:
  • Asparagus Vinaigrette
  • Crustless Tomato Tart
  • Stir-Fried Summer Squash with Basil
  • Pasta with Fresh Peas, Mushrooms, Scallions, and Sage
  • Cucumber-Dill Salad
  • Kale Chips
  • Caprese Salad
. . . and tossed green salad with something like 27 raw vegetables in it, including kohlrabi! I love kohlrabi.

The thing about a produce-heavy diet is . . .

Well, there's just no dainty way to say this. We visit the w.c. a lot, how's that? And my colon is whimpering, a little.

But it's early days! We'll toughen up.

The one vegetable I'm stymied by is the cucumber. I like them okay, but no one else here likes them at all, so I can't sneak them into salads. People complain about the ubiquitous zucchini, but I have no trouble using up zucchini! Worst-case scenario, grate it and hide it in pasta sauce. (But I love blackened zucchini, so no need.) What am I to do with two whole cucumbers? And there's more to come. Truly, I'm at a loss.

However! At lunch today with my beloved Mrs. Cynicletary, I had the tastiest cocktail: a Cool as a Cucumber Martini! I'm not sure how much cucumber I can use up in one drink, but you can bet I'll be finding out.

Tomorrow we're getting up on the early side to do an hour's worth of yardwork before it gets too hot — it's a jungle out there. I can pretty much point my kids in any direction with any garden tool, and they'll find something they can do. And then we'll do our regular chores, and then, to reward everyone for their cheerful and dedicated effort, we're heading to Chunky's in Nashua, N.H., to see Monster's University and enjoy fried appetizers and cocktails! We love Chunky's. Also, I want to visit Burlington Coat Factory and see if they have the dress that was featured in Good Housekeeping month; it's lime-green with diagonal thin white stripes, and so cute and summery! And only $19.99!

In four days we leave for a week in California, so I'm not going to over-worry about making the yard pretty before I go; that will be July's project.

Let's see, what else? I billed 35 hours last week and 35 hours this week. That's a full-time job!!!! And on top of all the other stuff I've been doing and dealing with . . . crazy.

I am ready for a vacation!

Though I am ever grateful to Sexy Em for pointing out that "a family visit" is not synonymous with "a vacation," which is for sure true. I'm bracing myself for the unrefrigerated condiments, the over-warm house, the ever-present television, my mom's need to have a schedule, my dad's inability to read the newspaper silently.

But also: a swimming pool, great Mexican food, lots of wine, and overflowing love and affection and kindness. We will have a great time. Mimosa and I have a pile of enticing library books (Martini has library books as welll. He is somewhat less enthusiastic), and Mom says she's already stocked the fridge with Kendall Jackson. Sweeeeet!

I know I had other things to say, but I've been sitting at this computer all day, my midsection is crampy and aching (it's my very special ladytime — which I'm thrilled about; let's get it over with before I have to deal with doll-size airplane bathrooms), it's time to call it a night and head for the tub. Possibly with a library book, possibly this one:

I'll let you know.

 And hey, if you've got cucumber recipe suggestions, send 'em along! I'll try anything.

Happy first day of summer! My least favorite season, I'll admit, but it has its perks.

—Lady C


5 comments:

  1. Your cuke solution: tzatziki yogurt dip! Recipes abound on the Web, some easier than others, but it sounds like you'll have plenty to experiment with! Plus you can dip many other veggies into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, yes, I love tzatziki; I've made it twice, and it's never turned out as good as it was in the Greek restaurant we used to go to (which is now our local Mexican joint — no tzatziki). But I will keep trying. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. I've been on a green smoothie kick, and the whole family drinks them, even the picky ones. I use a whole cucumber, handfuls of spinach, almond or coconut milk, protein powder, banana, any different kind of frozen fruit I have, and stevia. The vegetables hide and it tastes sweet and fruity.

    You can also make "monkey sandwiches,"-- cutting a cuke in half the short way, hollowing out the center a bit, and filling it with something good like hummus, or whatever might go well with cucumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear God, that smoothie sounds revolting!!! But I trust you, and if you say it's sweet and fruity, I will try it. With an open mind, even! It does sound refreshing for summer.

      (I just read your ingredient list to my son, and he whimpered in pain.) :)

      Delete
  3. Heh, I know how it sounds! Green smoothies and green juices are ALL the rage on the health blogs this year... And actually, just putting a handful of spinach into a fruit smoothie is a good way to start, because it doesn't affect the taste at all.

    I'll have to try your cucumber martini! Have a great trip...

    ReplyDelete