What an irritating week it's been!!!! (But listen — don't search for "irritation" in Google Images unless you want to be completely grossed out. Who knew the human skin was capable of so much nasty???)
- Husband is still sick. Still. Sick. Coughing, wheezing, looking and sounding and feeling awful. I think it's just a bad cold (Li'l Martini likewise had one that lasted weeks and weeks, though he didn't take to his bed), but it's compounded by a flare-up of his gout (he's hobbling around like a syphilitic Henry VIII), and he also has a weird blister under his tongue that he wants to show all of us. Ew. I am sympathetic, I truly am, but it's been 15 days of me as primary parent, listening to him cough. And cough. And cough, punctuated with requests to look at his blister. I am sympathetic, but I am also weary. (And yes, he's been to the doctor. Twice. It's not pneumonia, which was a real fear; he's been hospitalized for it two times before. The doctor pretty much confirms that it's a bad cold.)
- On Saturday, as I was cooking a huge dinner for Brunie and her husband (we had three weeks' worth of CSA shares cramming the fridge — time to cook it all up in one gloriously fell swoop!), I went down to the basement to put the laundry in the dryer (the kids sort the laundry and start the first load, but I'm the only one in the house with the ability to see whether stained items got clean and to make sure that clothes that shouldn't go in the dryer don't go in —no, I am not taking a tone, that's just how my voice sounds) and first heard a weird noise and next noticed that there was water all over the floor. Though everyone else had pretty much spent the day in the basement (playing on their computers or reclining on the Futon Death Bed), no one else bothered to check out the weird noise. No, I am not taking a tone! Turns out, our water heater had sprung a leak, the kind of leak that means Sister, you need a new water heater. So, at 4 p.m. on Saturday, before a dinner party, we had to turn off the water heater and have had no hot water since.
- (The dinner was magnificent, though, and that is something. See my photo journal on Brunie's blog here — I'm guest-posting this week!)
- (In fairness, I should add that Husband was a rock star on Saturday night; he pulled himself off his Futon of Death and actually went to Sears, after getting nowhere with the "Sears" guy on the phone, which resulted in an appointment three days earlier than "Sears" guy was offering. He is a hero, and I gave him many strokes and much love. Just so you know.)
- Though I'm still plugging away exercising and eating less and dramatically curtailing my hooch consumption (except for Saturday, when I pretty much emptied the sangria pitcher myself), I haven't lost another pound, in fact, I seem to have gained a few back.
Sears comes today between 12 and 4 to install the new water heater. I will either take a long walk or check out a new zumba class tonight — break a big sweat, in other words — and then have a much-needed therapeutic bath.
That is, assuming all goes well. But what could go wrong?
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!
On the weight loss front, I haven't been documenting my food intake, and I think I will focus on that this week. Clearly I am eating more than I realize. Or else my body is seriously messed up, that's another possibility.
I did get two compliments on how much thinner I look, one from someone who sees me all the time and one from someone I see every four months or so, and that was nice.
I will keep on keepin' on. What else can I do?
July is always my least favorite month. For me, summer means work exactly as hard as I usually do, except everyone else is home lying around distracting me and it's hot. Rah. But July ends on Wednesday. I will focus on that.
Yours in irritation (but not the kind featured in Google Images, thank the good lord),