Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day 103: Taking a Nothing Day and Suddenly Making It All Seem Worthwhile

My morning was off to a poor start (though I didn't have a headache for the first time in a week, and that was something).

First, my computer screen kept freezing, I couldn't figure out what was going on, and twice I lost the text I was writing for a piece for our church newsletter, trying to convince people to join the (unpopulated and wildly unpopular) Stewardship Committee, the group charged with convincing people in our church to cough up money every year.

(I Googled the phrase "I hate asking people for money" and got 85,000,000 hits. It's going to be a hard sell.)

Second, I got a very upsetting e-mail from an old friend. It made me both sad and mad, so now I'm smad, and it's an awful feeling.

Third, I have to pay our credit card bill today, and I can only pay part of it; I don't know why my editing work has suddenly and mysteriously dried up; I am stressed and anxious about money again.

Anyway, there I was, glaring at my computer, shredding my thumb cuticles, stewing, stewing, when Good Neighbor Anne called and invited me to take a walk with her. And my first instinct was, "Oh hell no, I've got all this CRAP to deal with!" and then I thought: Oh hell yes, all I will do if I stay here is stew some more, I might as well stew and do my body some good at the same time.

And we walked the bike path, 2.7 miles, and it's a glorious morning. It's supposed to get up to 95 degrees today and it's already very humid, but the bike path is reliably cooler than any other spot in Arlington, and it was just beautiful, green and lush and dewy.

(I think I forgot to note that when I walked it on Monday, I saw a chicken! A very sociable chicken, who didn't seem fazed by my stopping to gawk at it. Life's a trip, man.)

But the most wonderful thing, besides unexpected exercise, was time with a friend. We talked and talked, she gave me an interesting perspective on the situation with my old friend, we got caught up on each other's lives, it was just a lovely and perfect reboot to my day.

And now I'm sweaty and stinky (and I still have zumba tonight!), but my computer seems to have fixed itself, and as for the rest . . . que sera sera. If I have no work next week, I will make an appointment at a temp agency. (Which will be a trip — I haven't temped in 20 years! Though I landed at EDC through a temp job . . . But anyway, it feels good to have a plan.) 

As for the old friend . . . we'll see. This is an old bad issue between us, and it may be unsolvable. But again — we'll see.

Exercise can work magic, but time with a good friend — there's nothing better.

Off to hit the shower! You would thank me if you were here. (Husband says I look wicked hot and the sweat stains only add to it, but I think you know that he is not a reliable reporter.)

xo Lady C

6 comments:

  1. I've been known to make similar comments to my spouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that saying, "you are only one workout away from a good mood."
    It was so wonderful to catch up with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good mantra. Though yesterday I had two workouts and today am FEELING IT, oy vey. But it was wonderful to be with you, and so kind of you to hold yourself back and actually *walk*, my friend the runner!

      Delete
  3. Mr. Lady Chardonay (aka Husband, aka Heterolifemate)September 12, 2013 at 11:41 AM

    But, wait!! Who (or what) is the Positive Pear?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW you would notice that!!!!

      Short answer: I don't know.

      Well, actually, that's my only answer.

      Hey, it's raining in our back yard but not our front yard right now. What do you make of that?

      Delete