Monday, September 2, 2013

Day 94: Some Things Are Better Left As Memories

The craptastic motel that the kids and I have enjoyed for so many years has fallen onto hard times, and now, I fear, it's 90 percent crap, 10 percent tastic. We saw the handwriting on the wall and decided within hours to come home a day early. No regrets!

And we celebrated our last day of summer with one of our traditions: boy movie, girl movie. The boys went to see my spiritual husband Hugh Jackman in The Wolverine (Husband says I need to see it, if only for the scene in which Wolverine takes a bath, oh my); the girls went across the street to see our gal Shailene Woodley in The Spectacular Now, which was depressing as all giddy-up, but SHAILENE WOODLEY! We love her very much.

And then we had dinner at a yummy Asian fusion place in Danvers; Husband and Mimosa shared many plates of Chinese food, Martini had Pad Thai, and I had very divine sushi; if we'd only thrown in some Korean and Burmese snacks, we could've covered a whole continent. It was excellent.

And now we're home to do the final scrubbing and rinsing and shellac-ing in prep for that wonder of wonders: the first day of school!!!! It's worth noting that no one seems quite as excited about this as I am. I plan to make an excellent breakfast for everyone (to somewhat atone for my very obvious delight), so in a minute I'll head over to Trader Joe's for some Canadian bacon, also limes so I can properly celebrate.

I'd said that once they were all out the door, I planned to make a pitcher of margaritas and dance in my scanties. I have now somewhat refined the plan; I will do some yardwork and work up a good sweat after they go, then turn to my good buddy Jose Cuervo.

Because, sister, I did almost nothing this weekend but sit. And eat. And drink wine. Though I did read a lot of good books, and that was cool. But today, even though it's humid and overcast, I took a long sweaty walk before the movie, and my only movie snacks (in lieu of lunch) were dry popcorn and diet Pepsi, and I am back in the Spartan swing o' things. And so, like I said, some good sweaty yardwork tomorrow, and possibly zumba tomorrow night to make up for the class I missed; we'll see how it goes. (Plan B is that I will be so exhausted from rising at dawn to see off my three school-bound darlings, I will want nothing more than a bowl of Wheatena, a good book, and an early bedtime.)

I don't care what the calendar says; today is the last day of summer. Hope you all had a good one!

—Lady C, ready to embrace autumn

p.s. The fortune in my cookie reads, "Why not treat yourself to a good time instead of waiting for someone else to do it?" It's like they know my plans for tomorrow. Eerie!

No comments:

Post a Comment