Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Random Bits of Tid


Today's big plan is to sew a pillowcase. Every year I lovingly torture Martini with a description of a terrible present I'm (not really) giving him for his birthday; this year, I've convinced him he's getting a pillowcase, hand-embroidered by Mama, that reads "Good morrow, chums! Rest your cheek right here!" — perfect for a manly teen slumber party! And I'm going to actually make a pillowcase (which he can always use), just to give him that glorious moment while he searches for the embroidery. (If he seems disappointed, I will certainly embroider it for him.) I got the fabric earlier this week; today I'll plunk myself in front of Christmas movies and sew.

But first I'm cleaning out my Inbox.

SIX DECADES OF THE MOST POPULAR GIRL'S NAME

Have you seen this? Watching "Jennifer" sweep the nation (like Baby Fish-Mouth!) is very entertaining!

GIFTING MY FAVORITE UNCLE

I love all my uncles, but Mom's little brother is my special buddy. In 1986, I believe, I found the most obnoxious book in a bookstore and had to buy it, then was stumped for who to give it to. Uncle Steve was the obvious answer, even though he and I were not in the habit of exchanging presents. However, he declared that next year it was his turn, and we were off — close to three decades now of exchanging truly terrible presents.

A few years into it, my dad made a lasting contribution when he found an industrial plastic envelope meant (and marked) for mailing bodily fluids; that has become the official wrapping paper for at least one of the yearly gifts.

It's always a challenge to find just the right thing, and I know it when I see it. This year, I was wildly tempted by the puking cat gravy boat, particularly this "fleshy" shade, which looks like a hairless puking cat:

Terra Catta - SOLD OUT
Terra Catta
However, in an e-mail to Uncle titled It may be all about the giving, but not for fifty bucks, I explained, "The heart is willing, but the wallet . . . not so much." (Uncle's response: "I really feel underflated.")

I'm happy with the gift I chose, but it hasn't arrived yet. I am trying to be Zen, rather than cross and restive.

I continue to try.

OTHER CAT DELIGHTS

Dear Husband shared the following gem with me:

 
Yes, we need a new couch and yes I am a semi-crazy cat lady . . . but I am drawing a line.

(Though Martini saw this and went, "Awesome.")

STILL MORE FROM UNCLE STEVE

He sends lots of group e-mails, jokes and YouTube videos and News of the Weird, that kind of thing, and his latest was titled "The Revised Bucket List." The pictures are a cross between fascinating and horrifying, and here's the one that really stuck with me:
Extreme Picnicking
They look so happy! Am I too smart or too cowardly and small-minded for this enterprise?

Who's to say?

OFF TO SEW

Good morrow, chums! My Inbox is clean!!

—Lady C

2 comments:

  1. Okay...that picnic picture made me feel dizzy.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, no kidding! If you Google "Revised Bucket List," you can see some of the other (nauseating) wonders . . .

    ReplyDelete