Thursday, September 11, 2014

By the Numbers


I haven't 'fessed up to this because I've been ashamed, but it's time to face some cold, hard, ugly facts.

When I started my weight-loss journey, I weighed 287 pounds. I managed to get down to 248, but I never really settled there; my new "set point" seemed to be 252. (My goal is 149. I am 5'8", this would be a good weight.)

Then my exchange student Tam (i.e., tamoxifen) came to live with me, and my weight promptly shot up 10 pounds and didn't budge. At first I blamed this on sluggish ladyplumbing and backed up menses, but within a couple of months everything started "moving" again, except the scale needle. (Sorry, this is the GROSSEST paragraph, but we have no secrets, do we? As much as we may long for them sometimes.)

And then I hurt my knee and was no longer exercising regularly, and I kept going to California and drinking margaritas with my mom, and that weight started creeping, creeping . . .

For several weeks now, I've weighed in at 268.  

This must stop.

If I can lose a pound a week, I'll be back under 250 by Christmas. This feels like a good and do-able goal. Obviously, I would like to lose  much, much more than that!! and if I do, then, yay! But having a smallish, reasonable objective, especially as we enter the glorious holiday season of food! food! food!, feels both smart and accomplish-able.

I'm kind of killing time while I wait for (1) Mimosa's event to start (the Madrigal Singers are performing at the State House for a ceremony commemorating 9/11, and I can watch her online — so cool!!), and (2) my science client to answer an editing question, so I can submit my edited article and get paid. (I worked for four different clients last month and haven't been paid by anyone yet. Freelancing really sucks sometimes.)

So here are some other numbers, as I while away the minutes:

Three of My Favorite Movies
All About Eve
Gone With the Wind*
Breakfast at Tiffany's

Four of My Favorite Libations
Chardonnay (duh)
Champagne
Margarita, on the rocks with salt
Bloody Mary

 
Five of My Favorite Books
The Cheerleader by Ruth Doan MacDougall 
Betsy Was a Junior by Maud Hart Lovelace**
A Window Over the Sink by Peg Bracken
The Luckiest Girl by Beverly Cleary
Tracy and Hepburn by Garson Kanin 

Six Guilty-Pleasure Movies
Bring It On
Fast Break starring Gabe Kaplan! Oh it is truly awesome
Almost Summer
Grease 2
Thank God It's Friday
Ice Princess

Seven Actresses I Love
Meryl Streep
Marisa Tomei
Susan Sarandon
Emma Thompson
Alfre Woodard
Viola Davis
Jennifer Lawrence

Seven Actors I Love
Hugh Jackman
Daniel Day-Lewis
Mark Ruffalo
Denzel Washington
Matt Damon
Michael Fassbender
Hugh Grant


 


OK, the event should be starting now. I'm so proud of my girl!!

— Lady C, mama bear


* We are going to see this on the big screen September 28, and I could not be more excited!!!!! This movie HAS to be seen on the big screen.

** I love ALL the Betsy-Tacy books, natch, but this one is my special favorite. It is often people's least-favorite; they prefer Emily of Deep Valley, which is my least favorite. Go figure.

7 comments:

  1. I saw GWTW in the late 90s on the big screen. I'm so glad I had that opportunity and did not let it slip by. I tried to talk my Joan Rivers-adoring local bestie into going to see her last year and she declined and ugh, now it's too late. And the problem with EoDV is that they keep bragging about that war they just won ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, I know just what you mean (about being too late for Joan Rivers, etc. etc.). I've been teasing Ruth Doan MacDougall about taking a road trip to Camden, Maine, for years now -- but the last time I saw her, she appeared so elderly and fragile. A road trip seems unlikely, and I am consumed with regret.

      And yes, EoDV is distinctly focused on that War of Northern Aggression, for sure. I feel your pain, honeychile. :)

      Delete
  2. I am long overdue for checking in - not that you haven't been in my thoughts bunches. My inspiration for us was some good ol' gal stomping line dancing. Fun, yet easy on the knees - and the music may grow on us, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! I would *adore* to go line dancing with you!!

      Miss you, babycakes!

      Delete
  3. Please advise: I cannot allow this travesty to continue, namely, that I live near Maude Hart Lovelace's house but have never read any Betsy-Tacy books.
    So, what I need help with is what order I should read them in. [Don't hate me for my bad grammar.]
    Do they even go in order?
    Or should I start with this favorite one of yours you mention here, and then jump around? Or, what?
    Any pointers would be much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, one of my favorite questions in the whole world -- which BT book to read first?!

      Your first step is to do a little soul-searching. Are you a purist who prefers to read a series in order? Then start with the first book, "Betsy-Tacy." However, the girls are only 5 in this book, and it is written to be enjoyed by tots of that age — will you grow impatient with a book about kindergarteners? If so, start with "Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown," which is commonly referred to as "the bridge book," the one fitting neatly between "the childhood books" and "the high school books." The girls are 14, and it's a cracking good read!

      But if you'd prefer to read about adult Betsy, start with "Betsy and the Great World," the one book that doesn't take place in Minnesota. It won't matter if you don't know the other characters because they barely appear, except in Betsy's thoughts.

      Keep me posted!! It is thrilling to introduce someone else to my beloved series. I hope you like it.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE BESTY–TACY!!!

      Wow--I am so glad you mentioned these books, which got me thinking it was high time I read them (at 53 y.o.).
      I'm not a purist but decided to start with the first one and see how it grabbed me.
      It grabbed me hard!
      I can hardly believe a book about two little girls eating their meals on a bench at the end of their road could be a "cracking good read", but it is--to me, anyway. It got me thinking a lot about what I did as a little girl---even 60 years after Betsy & Tacy, being five felt a lot to me like it did to them.

      I was enjoying them so much, I read the first three books yesterday, lying on the couch all evening. I read every word of the first two but kind of skimmed the third---I found that whole Queen of Summer + Little Syria kind of lame, or even a little distasteful (it was so weird & creepy of the dad to suggest they harvest votes).

      By the way, you mentioned people not blogging much. I took a year off (unintentionally) but I've been blogging pretty regularly again, if you'd care to stop by. (Click on my name or go to www.gugeo.blogspot.com)
      I hesitate a little to invite you to drop by because I've been rather "miffy" this summer and my posts are a little more negative than I usually am, but... I would serve you some cambric tea, like Besty & Tacy drink!
      In fact, I want to blog about cambric tea---my mother made it for us but called it "tea-kettle tea".
      But I'm too tired tonight, and tomorrow I take my girl Marz to get her wisdom teeth removed. (Marz came to me as a 20 y.o., sort of a refugee from a dysfunctional family, but she feels like my "girl".)

      Ta ta!

      Delete