Thursday, December 4, 2014

Ready to Muster My Wits


Mom left yesterday. I was up at 5 a.m. to drive her to the airport. Yeah, there's two things I hate: getting up and heading out when it's still dark (and it astonished me to see how much Boston traffic there was; whatever job requires you to be driving in the city at 5:45 a.m., I never want that job), and saying goodbye to my mother. I cried and cried, like a baby — but only after she left, so she wouldn't feel bad. About my pain.

(Hee.)

It was wonderful to have her here. We laughed a LOT, and my house is gorgeously decorated for Christmas. Once Husband puts up the outdoor lights (usually after his grades are turned in), Chez Chardonnay with be an icon of dazzling holiday beauty!


(OK, no, we don't decorate the toilet. But — ideas!)

We saw many of my besties during her visit, which was awesome; Good Neighbor Anne came over on Thanksgiving afternoon, and Mrs. Cynicletary and Handsome D were here for drinks and games and dessert — so fun. On Friday, Brunie and her pretty mom stopped by to enjoy tasty leftovers (Husband looked at my lovely table and said, "Am I invited to this lunch? It looks . . . girly") and drink Planters Punch and talk a few; on Saturday, Nurse Kathy joined us for cocktail hour (I finally remembered to serve my homemade limoncello! and boy howdy is it good!!), then, after a simple sandwich supper, we all headed over to Superdad's for a dessert buffet. On Sunday, Mom saw many of my favorite church friends, including Kind Tina and Mrs. Professor. Mom gets along so well with all my friends, and I know she likes knowing that I'm encircled by good people, so far away from home.

I've been eating and gorging and drinking like I'm going to the Chair, and it's time to do something different. Two things happened recently that made an impression on me:
  • My Alterna-Husband and his nice wife came to dinner a couple of weeks ago; I haven't seen them for a while, and he in particular has lost so much weight, he is almost unrecognizable. Over the last year, he's lost 50+ pounds and she's lost 40 some. Their approach is to eat five times a day, to stay within 250 calories per meal, and to include 5 grams of fiber each time, for a total of 1,250 calories and 25 g of fiber every day. He also takes a daily walk; I'm not sure about her, nor what else they do for exercise. But as we all know, eating makes the biggest difference, and they have clearly found something that works for them.
  • I read an article titled "5 Ways to Reduce Your Risk of Diabetes" (which, longtime readers may recall, is the disease I fear most, as I am the overweight daughter of a diabetic mother and maternal grandfather), and it also suggested multiple smaller meals, along with very specific guidance on what a snack should comprise:
(1) A fruit or vegetable (ideally both)
(2) PLUS a protein (e.g., cottage cheese, Greek yogurt)
(3) PLUS a complex carbohydrate (e.g., whole-wheat crackers, popcorn)
A week of cheese, sugar, bacon, and hooch was delightful, but I'm feeling ready to try both of these approaches.


Since my cortisone shots, my knees have progressed through feeling 90 percent healed to acting a little wonky again (though better than before the shot); my right knee hurts when I walk for a while, and my left knee suddenly buckles for no good reason, all of which makes me nervous about taking a walk away from home. Now, have I done the physical therapy I promised I'd do? Ha.

So, that's something I definitely need to start, plus get back into weight-lifting. Watching my weak, weak mother try to get up from a seated position, or try to pull a seatbelt across her body, has inspired me. Strength is key. Stronger muscles will protect me. Use it or lose it.


I have some editing work to do today, but I will do something muscle-y before I take my shower. This is my vow! And tonight I'll do physical therapy before I go to bed. (It's mostly lying-down exercises, so my bed is a good place. I'll do it while watching Jeopardy! This is Kids Week, I can watch with half an eye.)

Final thoughts:

I wish I lived closer to my mom.

Time to work.

— Lady C

p.s. Thank you, all of you, who sent such nice, supportive notes on the day I posted about being so sad and missing Dad. The thing that I keep coming back to is this: Dad was so stoic — definitely a grit-your-teeth-and-get-through-it kind of guy. I feel like he'd be disappointed in me.

BUT. Dad and I almost never had the same reaction to almost anything. Why should this be any different?!


I appreciate your kindness very much. You are good friends.

A fruit or vegetable (or ideally both) A protein like low fat cottage cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt, lean meat (turkey, chicken or tuna), or a hard-boiled egg, AND A complex carb like whole-wheat crackers or pita bread, or popcorn. - See more at: http://blog.harvardvanguard.org/2014/09/5-ways-to-reduce-your-risk-of-diabetes/#sthash.xTKXtglz.dpuf
Snack more. Eating a healthy, balanced snack in between smaller meals helps to control blood sugar and quell your hunger so you don’t overdo it at the next meal.  Healthy snacks should consist of:
  • A fruit or vegetable (or ideally both)
  • A protein like low fat cottage cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt, lean meat (turkey, chicken or tuna), or a hard-boiled egg, AND
  • A complex carb like whole-wheat crackers or pita bread, or popcorn.
- See more at: http://blog.harvardvanguard.org/2014/09/5-ways-to-reduce-your-risk-of-diabetes/#sthash.xTKXtglz.dpuf
Snack more. Eating a healthy, balanced snack in between smaller meals helps to control blood sugar and quell your hunger so you don’t overdo it at the next meal.  Healthy snacks should consist of:
  • A fruit or vegetable (or ideally both)
  • A protein like low fat cottage cheese, nonfat Greek yogurt, lean meat (turkey, chicken or tuna), or a hard-boiled egg, AND
  • A complex carb like whole-wheat crackers or pita bread, or popcorn.
- See more at: http://blog.harvardvanguard.org/2014/09/5-ways-to-reduce-your-risk-of-diabetes/#sthash.xTKXtglz.dpuf

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing berry bellinis don't count as a fruit? :)
    My knees get so sore after running around for 4 hours at work, I think what a relief I would feel if they weren't bearing quite so much weight. And then I have another piece of chocolate cake.
    Oh, the humanity...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, those bellinis had two whole boxes of raspberries in them. They should definitely count! And the Planter's Punch had an entire lemon, squeezed.

      I feel much healthier now.

      Delete