Saturday, July 23, 2016

Wilting . . .

 

Boston is in the midst of a massive blinding heat wave with almost no end in sight.

Sat
Isolated Thunderstorms
94°
67°
Sun
Sunny
91°
66°
Mon
Scattered Thunderstorms
96°
71°
Tue
Sunny
95°
67°
Wed
Sunny
88°
67°
Thu
Scattered Thunderstorms
88°
68°
Fri
Scattered Thunderstorms
86°
66°
Sat
Partly Cloudy
83°
65°


Well, I guess that's not technically true; it looks like things cool down slightly after Tuesday. But it's only Saturday, we've been living through this for days, Wednesday feels very far away.

And if I could sit in front of a fan with my excellent library books and a cold drink, that would be one thing, but I have taken on almost more editing work than I can handle (college tuition looms! I am too scared to say no to anything!), PLUS I'm working offsite at my first temp job for four days.
(Aside: I LOVE this job!! It is so easy, and I have lots of down time, so I've been able to do a little editing. It's also air-conditioned! It also has great coffee!!!)
PLUS: Mimosa leaves for college in less than a month (26 days, to be precise), so it's time to get serious about getting her stuff together, PLUS her computer is acting up and neither Husband nor I can figure out what's going on. Our best faint hope is something called a "swelling battery" (and who isn't swelling in this heat? My feet look like small squishy pink pumpkins. All this editing = lots of sitting, which is no good for my circulation, especially in a heat wave), which we will attempt to replace today.

PLUS: Li'l Martini leaves for camp tomorrow, so we've got to get him ready as well — and oh yes, we have a houseguest at present! A friend of one my bridesmaids is in town, so we are putting her up for four nights. Easy-peasy, she's a delightful guest, I've seen her all of 10 minutes so far, but it's just one more thing.
(Aside: Husband met her first, since I was temping, and texted me: "She's pretty cute!" "Calm down, tiger," I texted back.)
And, of course, it's Chore Day. I would put it off, except the house gets especially grubby during a heat wave (we have fruit flies EVERYWHERE and the rugs are matted with shedded cat hair. Oh, our lucky houseguest!).

And finally, Mom just found out that she needs open heart surgery — I am being pretty chill about this, but of course I am anxious. (Mommy! Mommy!)

Ai yi yi!!
Sadly, I think I need to face the fact that the demon rum is not my friend right now. As appealing as a frosty margarita sounds, I feel even more hot and swollen afterward. Perhaps I will embrace temperance.

At least until Wednesday.

Onward!

2 comments:

  1. You buried the lead. Your mom will be fine. Better open heart than closed heart surgery; whatever that is. Cat fur never killed anyone...or did it? Keep Cool and Carry On.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee! Yeah. Mom is having surgery, but I'm HOT, MICHAEL!!!

    I always try to have the attitude, Don't worry until there's an actual something to worry about. They found "something" on her heart, and she's having surgery to get rid of it, which will help with her lightheadedness and dizziness, which is a good thing — so I'm focusing on that. She's being chill and upbeat (today, anyway), and I'm taking my cue from her. All will be well!

    ReplyDelete