Friday, August 12, 2016

Dispatches from My White-Hot Life

 
I thought I would share some key facts in my life at present:
  • It is crazy hot and humid here; the People Who Decide These Things have issued a heat advisory warning of some kind. I am sitting in a pool of my own boob sweat. So. Sexy.
  • My feet seem permanently swollen. I get up and walk around, elevate them when I can, and sleep with them propped on pillows, and they remain squishy pink marrows, twice the size of my usual feet. What can you do. Yeah, I'm sure it's the fault of sodium. (Trying to remember what I ate today: Corn Chex, a banana, skim milk, and some leftover Indian food. My God, the salt.)
  • I've mentioned this endless book I'm editing, right? The finish line is in sight: there are seven chapters, an Intro, and a Conclusion, and I'm going to finish chapter 5 before I knock off for the night. God willing and the creek don't rise, I should be able to finish tomorrow!!
  • And then I get a BIG FAT CHECK! 
  • Someday. My memory is that this client doesn't pay quickly. But 's okay, I've had a ton of other work as well, lots of nice checks rolling in.
  • Mimosa leaves for college in six days. SIX. DAYS. Oh man. It's good, it's all good, I know it's all good, but I am beside myself with all the feels.
  • A skunk died in our backyard a week or so ago, and Husband, Intrepid Neighbor Jeff, and I have been trying all manner of things to eradicate Eau de Skunk. Today's remedy, a concoction of peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap, may have helped? Or maybe the driving rainstorms we've had on and off since 5 p.m.? Or maybe having the carcass finally hauled away by the trash guys? Who knows. But I'm smelling it a lot less today than I was yesterday, and that is something to be profoundly grateful for. 
In my immediate future:
  • Finish editing Chapter 5.
  • Hot bubble bath.
  • People magazine! 
  • Elevate feet, collapse into sweet hot oblivion.
Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 70s. BLISS.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment