Two pieces of good news:
- The weather is PERFECT. I am so so so happy! And I'm getting my first good night's sleep in eons. I am Lady Van Winkle!!
- And: I have ESP!!!
- Example 1: Brunie has been blogging about her Route 66 cross-country road trip, but her writing has slowed the past few days (I suspect she's been mellowing out with one of Marin County's favorite pastimes**); I feverishly check for new posts, to no avail. Yet on Thursday, I knew, I just KNEW there would be a new post, and there was!
- Example 2: Mimosa has reached out to her two new college roommates via e-mail but they have been very slow to respond, which was making me anxious. But last night I suddenly thought, One of them wrote to her and I checked and she had! (I can access Mimosa's account for now, while we're still getting everything in place, but I suspect she will change the password soon, which is fine.)
A piece of "could be good, could be bad" news:I am not sure what to do with my new power, but I will try to use it only for good.
- My mom's surgery requires a full month of recovery, and her doctor told her to do it in Boston or Minnesota so that one of her kids could take care of her. Mateo and I quickly engaged in a little tug of war, as he had an uppity response to my assertion that Mom was not having farm surgery in a field in the Middle West.*** But I had the ultimate riposte: She requires a downstairs bedroom, which he does not have. So, yay! I win our sick mother.
Mom will likely be here through September and we will fly back to Chico together, as I'd already planned to come see her over Columbus Day weekend. It's a little scary — and also, our assigned roles of Recovering Patient Mom and Caregiver Lady are the exact opposite of what we're both best at — but que sera sera. We will make it work.
(My brother Miguelito did assure Mom, via a phone call, that he would come to Boston to help me as needed. I am taking a deep breath now and plan to hold it until this occurs . . . wait, is that a pig flying by my window?) ☺︎
A piece of not-great news:
- I was washing the soles of my feet in the bathroom sink the other night, a position that requires me to look something like a stork, and it was still hot and I was sweaty and moist and I slipped while still in stork position and landed very badly on my right leg. My knee wasn't great already due to arthritis, and now it is very injured and very slow to heal, since I don't have time to rest, elevate, and ice it — I have SO MUCH WORK, which is good but also makes me anxious and edgy, and also requires me to sit with my knee bent and foot on the floor (yes, I just described "sitting" for you — what a full-service blog!), which is the worst position for healing but what can you do. It's good to have work.
- My firstborn angel turns 19 this Friday! Our celebration actually starts the day before: lunch with Good Neighbor Anne and Angel-Daughter, who've been friends with Mimosa since the girls were 1, and then an evening of Improv with the whole family. On Friday, my girl and I have a full day of activities planned in Worcester, Mass., heart of the Commonwealth! (You have to say this last phrase with a thick Boston accent, so "heart" sounds like "hat." Also, Worcester is pronounced "WOO-stuh.") Full report to come!
** It took me a ridiculously long time to figure out how to spell this word!! Passtime? Pasttime? Nothing looks right, not even the correct spelling. What a weird word. But thank goodness, knowing how to spell words correctly isn't required for my job or anything.
*** Minnesota friends, you know I am kidding. I love Minnesota!! But yes, I am being very Isobel-ish about this. When you need major surgery, you come to Boston, (Medical) Hub of the Universe!!