The weather is nice, so I enjoyed a brisk outdoor walk the other night. I only have to do 10 minutes (which feels very freeing) but I did more like 20 and then came home and did all my stretching. Stretching is the Challenge component I'm still most likely to skip. With exercise, I can definitely feel and see that I'm making progress.* With stretching — nada, I'm still stiff and un-springy as a board, despite a near-daily 10-minute stretch. It's the opposite of empowering.
As I was heading out for my walk, I immediately got a text from FitBit:
- FitBit: Hi Lady! How are you doing tonight?
- Me: I'm taking a walk. CAN YOU SEE ME?
- FitBit: Yes! I see you!
UPDATE: I took a walk at noon today, and when I was about five minutes into it I got a text from – guess who – FitBit! I wrote, "HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS?"I did a favor for FitBit yesterday, proofreading her bestie Yambi's Capstone paper, and Yambi kept apologizing to me for her poor grammar:
When I got home, I did my stretching right away. I'm still board-stiff, but hey. I GOT MY POINTS, that's all.
- Me: Honey, your English grammar is TEN TRILLION TIMES BETTER than my Spanish grammar!!
- Yambi: Ha ha!
- Me: FitBit asked me once if I spoke Spanish, and I said, “Besame mucho! Taco! Gracias!” That’s about it.
- Yambi: That’s all the Spanish you need to get by, most likely you will get tons of kisses, tacos and smiles from Spanish speakers.
(But yes, I know this is a quality problem.)
Tonight I'm supposed to attend Part 1 of a three-part church discussion of the book Waking Up White. I think I need to go, as this whole topic (How welcoming is our mostly white church?) is starting to make me edgy and eye-rolly (did I mention that we live in a very white community? Where are we going to find all these folks of color who want to be Unitarian Universalists?), and I don't want to be edgy and eye-rolly, I want to have an open heart and an open mind. But this is the absolute last thing I want to do with my precious free time tonight, believe me.
(This event was publicized for a while before I signed up; I kept feverishly checking the three Tuesdays, as I couldn't believe that my packed schedule offered three free nights in a row. But it did, so the message is clear. Get ready to get woke, eye-rolly girl.)
Three phone calls to make this morning, all of which I'm either dreading or semi-dreading:
- Doctor's office: Why do I have a bill saying "Balance forward"? I pay all my bills in full. What balance are you talking about??
UPDATE: "The balance is from your knee X-rays." "Yes, I see that bill. Which I paid in full." "Yes, you did, but there was a balance." Repeat three times. The bill is only $59, I give up.
- Overstock.com: You delivered a broken table! What are you going to do about it? And yes, I'm asking for the second time.
UPDATE: Super-nice lady says I'm in the system now and my table should be picked up in a couple of days. And we don't even have to dis-assemble it ourselves! This is very good news. Less good news: My gorgeous table is out of stock. Back to the drawing board . . .
- New School financial people: Why do you insist that I only paid half the tuition I paid last year??? So sick of this, but it will make a difference to my taxes of about $800, so I need to follow up.
UPDATE: Hateful hateful hateful people. What I need is a 1098-T that reflects the more than $50K I paid in tuition last year. What I have is a 1098-T that says $22K, which is just wrong. They keep insisting that the 1098-T reflects what I was charged, not what I paid. Which . . . WTF??? Why would I have paid something if I wasn't charged it???? I am begging my accountant to help me with this, I can't talk to these people any more.
The real question, of course, is why do I have such a bossy niece?? Why isn't a single one of my nieces a nice quiet bookworm??? Five nieces, not a gentle reader in the bunch.
UPDATE: Just did today's plank. 20 whole seconds!!! Progress!!!!!